When Jesus returns He will take “vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his power” (2 Thes 1:6-9).
- “From” is the Greek apo (S#575), a separation or departure.
- No matter how one views hell’s punishment, annihilationism aside, the worst thing is God’s absolute absence.
- If God is not in hell, then those things embodied by God cannot be found there. These are the source of today’s study.
Body: Things Not Found in Hell
- There will be no Love – 2 Corinthians 13:11; 1 John 4:8
- Romans 5:5 – God’s love is poured out in our hearts.
- Romans 5:6-8 – God demonstrates His love toward us…
- 1 John 4:11 – We are to love one another (cf John 13:34-35)
- There will be no Grace – 1 Peter 5:10
- Grace is unmerited favor – Luke 16:19-31
- Purgatory is a damnable doctrine of deferred grace.
- Heb 4:15-16 – no throne to find mercy and grace to help
- There will be no Comfort – 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
- Acts 9:31 vs John 14:26; 15:26 – No Comforter
- 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
- 1 Thessalonians 5:11
- Revelation 14:11 – The smoke from their torment ascends forever and they have no rest.
- There will be no Peace – Romans 16:20
- John 14:27
- Philippians 4:6-9
- Mark 9:50 – have peace with one another
- There will be no Hope – Romans 15:13
- In Dante’s Inferno, the inscription to the entrance of hell reads, “Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.”
- 1 Corinthians 15:19 – “If in this life only we have hope…”
- This is the one favorable attribute that we have studied that will not be in heaven – Romans 8:24
There is one attribute of God that will be ever present in hell: Those who are there “shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation.” Rev 14:10
If we would not choose to live without these marvelous attributes in this life, why would anyone choose to live without them for eternity?
More importantly, why would you choose to live without them?
“Through me you pass into the city of woe
Through me you pass into eternal pain
Through me among the people lost for aye…
Before me things created were none,
Save things eternal and I eternal I endure
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.”